Some of my friends asked for this heartwarming, easy, delicious and inexpensive Red Ruby Squash and Black Bean Chowder Recipe, so here it is:
- 1 red ruby squash peeled, emptied and cubed (Quite sure it would be delicious with butternut squash, pumpkin...)
- 1 cup dried Black Bean
- 1 medium size sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 diced red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 dried peri peri pepper (please choose a sweeter type if you don't want that "heat")
- 2 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 3 to 4 cups of water (please use as much or little as you like for that "consistency-richness" factor)
Now the easy part: Put EVERYTHING (start with 3 cups of water) in your slow cooker (crockpot) at high temperature for 6 hours. Stir every 30 minutes and adjust the amount of water.
Once all the vegetables and fruits are cooked, puree with a food processor or hand blender. Et voilà !
Before serving add a good table spoon of greek yogurt, some fresh cilantro and cooked black beans. (I cooked in a pot on the side)
I would love to hear your thoughts !